Last updated: 12.10pm, Monday 28th September 2015
The sun is a very strong ally when treating many illnesses, as many vitamins and hormones need sunlight. But nowadays, the sun and more specifically our thoughtless exposure to sunlight can cause many skin problems. One of these is photoaging.
Photoaging has increased in recent decades due to the change of our lifestyle. The most visible signs of skin ageing are a result of our cumulative daily exposure to the sun. Today, people have more leisure time, which usually means more time out in the sun. Moreover, people today are living longer and prefer to live in warm places where sun damage is almost inevitable.
Photoaging begins at puberty, becomes more visible in the 20s and can be clearly seen in the 30s. Generally, in the late 20s and early 30s the first signs of photoaging make their appearance.
The signs of photoaging on the skin
1. Roughness: The skin becomes dry and rough due to the destruction of the hydrolipidic film and thickening of the stratum corneum.
2. Wrinkles: They are generated due to the loss of collagen and elastin in the dermis and increase with the dehydration of skin.
3. Looseness: It occurs due to lack of sufficient flexibility to deal with the consequences of gravity and thus the skin relaxes.
4. Pale color: The blood vessels of the skin are damaged and start to decrease. This explains the slight yellowing of the skin. In fact the skin appears to be deficient in blood vessels.
5. Discoloration: It appears as an intense coloration of the skin in some areas and destructs pigment cells in the skin areas that are lighter. This can happen in people with dark skin and is one of the most frequent problems in dark skin.
6. Sun stains: In cases of chronic severe solar destruction, the excessive number of free keratinocytes mixed with sebum can clog the pores, causing black stains in the oily areas of the face like the nose and forehead.
7. Elastosis: Also known as "skin goose" and "turkey neck ' it commonly appears in the neck and chest area. The elastin forms a compact mass and the elastic fibers break due to exposure to UV rays.
Once photo-aging signs have appeared on the skin, simple care products for home use are not sufficient. You must follow special treatments by specialized cosmetics that contain substances such as vitamin A, C, or E and other Antioxidants such as coenzyme Q10, lipoic acid etc. The most important product is a moisturizing cream, which will keep your skin hydrated and fresh, adding the elements it needs, especially during summer. Along with the moisturizer, a pure collagen supplement will boost your collagen levels, preventing the skin damage that sun exposure causes.
You can find all those products and many more here: http://www.purelogicol.com/shop/skincare-collection